Monday, March 16, 2009

Follow Your Dreams (if only for an hour a day)

If you're unemployed, you may have a good deal of "free" time now. Unfortunately, if you're anything like me, you may have managed to fill this time with periodic episodes of panic and anxiety about the future. But, this fear doesn't have to paralyze you indefinitely.

Going back to the list of everything I'd ever wanted to do but hadn't yet, I realized that many of things I'd longed to do for ages had been left untouched. Shockingly, it was everything from learning how to make really good fudge to running the marathon on the Great Wall of China to writing a novel. There was nothing too small to be included on this list, which was the reason that I decided to show it to no one.

For too long, I'd run my dreams and passions past my social circles and society in general to get an approval that seemed rather hollow. If anything was too out of line, I felt guilty and as though I was wasting my time. If it wasn't achievement-oriented, what was the point?

Well, now we as a society are witnessing what happens when a collective of people push for more, more, more external gratification without much regard for what's happening internally. But, the turn of events in the global economy have forced many of us to look inward for gratification without spending a cent.

So, if you have free time right now, even only a few hours, spend some time day dreaming. Make a list of all of things that come to mind. Figure out what you love most, or maybe even several things that you simply would love to try, and do them!

You don't have to run the marathon tomorrow, but you can strap on the shoes and put in a few miles. Making a concerted effort to put a bit of time every day towards your goal. Taking action will help keep the fear-based thoughts at bay.

And perhaps, if we all started doing more of what we loved or had always dreamed of doing, we can help turn around the collective consciousness. Even if we don't, you'll have used some of your precious time towards one of your passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment