Saturday, March 7, 2009

Considering new directions

Before diving into my next career direction, the time I took to list all of the aspects of my prior job and career that I enjoyed and those that detracted from my overall well-being was well spent. It was easy to move away from my prior career; however, moving in a new positive direction was what I struggled with most. The entire world seemed to be in an upheaval, uncertain of what our collective direction would be.

At first, I made a list of characteristics that I wanted in my career (intellectual challenge, changing circumstances, entreprenurial development, to name a few). Keeping it general, I then listed everything that sounded fun and interesting that I'd ever wanted to do. It included things that I told no one about as they might deem them insignificant; however, to me, ignoring these small things was what led me to what I was doing before. Then, I began some informational interviews to glean information from professionals in the areas that looked interesting.

Being laid off was an opportunity to change my perspective and how that perspective manifested itself on a daily basis. It's taken shape slowly and is still expanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment