Friday, February 27, 2009

Before the job search...

When I was first laid off, I wanted to throw my resume at every company, firm, and organization that I thought might hire me. I was seriously worried about whether or not I would be able to find work. For a few days, at least. Then, I began to think about how much volatility there was in the market and that, with the economic downturn and Obama only newly in office, that there might be a great deal more fluctuation, rendering any job that I took just as "safe" as the last.

Many people who have been laid off were working in their profession of choice, had found their calling, and to them, this likely does not apply. However, I thought that perhaps it was time to find something that I was a little more firmly rooted in, a career and profession that really spoke to me, rather than one I'd landed in without more recent serious consideration.

So, I did the counter-intuitive: I did nothing for a few days. I didn't apply for anything or make any sudden changes. I just sat with the change that was going on around me. Now, this was a true luxury, and I understand that many laid off Americans do not have the luxury of of time to consider the next career move or job. A paycheck is a paycheck and, without one, family members may not get fed and the house foreclosure may go through. If this is where you are, then these things are top priority and, of course, not to be discounted. However, even with a job search ongoing, it's important to ask ourselves why we are where we are as a society, as individuals, and more importantly, what we can do about it.

Take some time, whether it's five minutes, five days, five weeks, or five months, to reflect on what you want from this life, what you can offer those around you, and what you can do about it right now and in the near future. Reserving just that small amount of space and room in your life can change the direction you end up heading drastically.

2 comments:

  1. Best Online Job Search Sites resources available to help find a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s Really Amazing Post, Thank you so much sir. click here for latest job openings

    ReplyDelete